Dining Etiquette

I remember when I was young, on any traditional occasion we used to come together for lunch which we called Pangat in Marathi. Pangat is the line of people sitting down to eat together.

As a child, there were strict instructions for us to finish everything that was served on the plate or Thali.

Then as we were growing up, my mother, aunt or grandmother used to teach us how to prepare the Thali or what food on which side we needed to serve which was very strictly followed by everyone.

Today because of the fast-paced lifestyle or the way we used to dine, this pangat or the traditional way of dining is missing somewhere and so is the way of serving food.

As an Image Consultant when I talk about Dining etiquette, we automatically consider the Western way of dining, the type of forks and type of glasses, the Beverages on the right side etc. The way you have soups and your sandwiches or toasts.

But I always wonder, how many of us or my clients specifically young ones do know there is also a particular way to serve Indian Food?

And that is the reason for today's post.

Because Raksha Bandhan and we had puja at home, I prepared the plates and served everyone. And this thought came to my mind.

The idea of adding Indian dining etiquette along with Western dining is specifically for the young. It will not only help them understand the specific way of dining with logical reason.

How many of you know the right placement of food on a thali?

Would you like to learn more about the traditional Indian way of dining and compare it to Western etiquette?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

hashtaghashtaghashtag

Comments

Popular Posts